Nature and Quality
Usha WRL 55 is a wax based lubricant meant for use on general purpose engineering ropes and similar applications.
This product conforms to specifications ~ IS 1448 / IS 9l82(Part-2 – Annexures A,B&C) & IS l0l Part-6 of l998.
Due to incorporation of very effective anti-corrosion and tacky additives, it gives outstanding lubrication and all round protection.
It can be used for lubrication of wire ropes , open gears , industrial chains sliding surfaces and similar applications.
Since the products drop point is very high (80°C) , there would be no loss of` the lubricant while being used at higher ambient temperatures.
- Excellent Rust Prevention
- Very good Lubrication
- Long lasting
- Low Temperature Flexibility
- Removes moisture and water from inner wire and stands
Method of use
Usha WRL 55 has to be heated to about 100° C or more depending on the ambient temperature, for proper application, due to its high drop point. After heating , it can be applied by a brush or a swab if conditions permit. Application Temp. ¢ 110 – 115 °C
As with all petroleum based products , some precautions are to be taken at the time of use of this lubricant-
- Do not over heat the lubricant beyond 120°C
- Always wear hand gloves and protective eye wear at the time of use
- Avoid splashing/spilling of the heated
- Do not use near open flames
- Do not dispose off used lubricant in drains
- Do not use near open flames
- Usha WRL 55 is to bc kept in closed dmms while not in use
- Store in a cool and dark place
- Left over lubricant is to be cooled before taking to storage area
Product Data Sheet
NAME: Lubricant (Non-Bituminous)
GRADE: USHA WRL-55
COMPOSITION: Mineral Oil, Waxes with Anti-Corrosion, Tack & Extreme Pressure Additives
|Sl. No.||Test||Properties||Test Method|
|3.||Drop Point, oC||80±5||IS 1448 (P-52)|
|4.||Flash Point, COC, oC, Min||200.0||IS 1448 (P-69)|
|5.||water Content, %by mass, Max||0.25||IS 1448 (P-40)|
|6.||Water Displacement Test||Shall pass the test for 72 hrs. Min.||IS 9182(P-1)Annex-D|
|7.||Acidity a)Inorganic||Nil||IS 1448(P-2)|
|8.||Total Alkalinity, as Ca (OH)2, % by mass, Max||0.5||IS 1448(P-53)|
|9.||Frothing while heating||Nil|
|10.||Water Repellency and anti corrosion properties||Shall pass the test for 72 hrs. Min||IS 9182(P-2) Annex-A|
|11.||Low Temp. Flexibility Test at -40oC||Shall Pass the test||IS 9182(P-2) Annex-C|
|12.||Kinematic Viscosity at 100 oC , cst||50 Min.||IS 1448 (P-25)|
|13.||Test for Protection against corrosion at high temp. and high humidity||Shall pass the test||IS 9182(P-2)Annex-B|
|14.||Penetration (Cone) at 25+-0.5 oC Min||45||IS 1448 (P-60)|
|15.||Salt Spray Test Min.||200Hrs.||IS 101 (Part 6/Sec1)1988|
|16.||Breaking Point||-35 oC||IP 80/87|
Safety Data Sheet WRL 55
|Product Name||Lubricant (Non-Bituminous)|
|Fire & Hazard Data|
|Fire Fighting measures||Combustible. No hazard|
|Extinguishing Data||Use CO2, foam & dry chemical powder|
|Hazards||Not classified as dangerous|
|First Aid Data|
|First Aid Measure||In case of eye contact flush eye with water. Seek medical advice if irritation occurs|
|Accidental Release Measure up||Allow any molten material to cool and scrape|
|Handling & Storage Data|
|Handling & Storage temprature||Store in sealed containers under normal|
|Physical & Chemical Data|
|Drop Point||– 80-85 °C|
|Flash Point (COC)||>200 °C|
|Stability & Reactivity|
|Thermal decomposition||Stable up to 120 °C|
|Disposal Condition||Dispose according to recognized method of chemical waste disposal.|
Basics of Wire Rope Lubrication
(2% of wire rope weight should be comprised of the lubricant and more details hereunder)
Wire rope lubrication serves two basic functions:
- To reduce friction as individual strands (wires) move over each other, and lubricate the core;
- To provide corrosion protection; prevent moisture and dust entry and wear protection from rubbing with external bodies during operation.
Wire rope lubricants are of two types:
- Penetrating – Penetrating lubricant contain a solvent that carries the lubricant into the core and then evaporates leaving behind a lubricating film to lubricate the core and individual strands.
- Coating – Coating lubricants penetrate slightly, sealing the outside of the rope from moisture, reducing wear and fretting corrosion from contact with external bodies.
Most wire ropes fail from inside.
It is important to make sure that the center core receives sufficient lubricant. Hence a penetrating type lubricant is must. Coating (asphaltic) type lubricant may be used as supplementary. Wire ropes are lubricated during the manufacturing process. Relubrication is required from time to time due to loss of the original lubricant from loading, bending and stretching of the rope. Relubrication is necessary to minimize corrosion, protect and preserve the rope core and wires, and thus extend the service life of the wire rope.
Benefits of wire rope lubrication:
Abrasive wear occurs on the inside and outside of wire ropes. Individual strands inside the rope move and rub against one another during normal operation, creating internal two-body abrasive wear. The outside of the cable accumulates dirt and contaminants from sheaves and drums. This causes three-body abrasive wear, which erodes the outer wires and strands. Abrasive wear usually reduces rope diameter and can result in core failure and internal wire breakage. Penetrating wire rope lubricants reduce abrasive wear inside the rope and also wash off the external surfaces to remove contaminants and dirt. Years of field experience shows that longer wire rope life can be obtained through the use of penetrating lubricants, either alone or when used in conjunction with a coating lubricant. Practical experience at a South African mine suggests that life cycles may be doubled with this approach. At one mine site, the replacement rate for four 44-mm ropes was extended from an average 18.5 months to 43 months. At another mine, life cycles of four 43-mm x 2073 meter ropes were extended from an average 8 months to 12 months. (Data from Machinery Lubrication Magazine, July 2002.
Properties of a good penetrating type lubricant
- Is flowable for easy penetration between adjacent wires in order to lubricate and protect them against wear and to keep the rope core from drying out;
- Adhesive, does not get “fling off” during bending, loading, stretching during operation;
- High load carrying capacity;
- Good corrosion protection against rusting by acids, alkalis or salt water;
- Resist softening or thinning out to the extent that throw-off or drippage occurs at high temperatures at which rope will operate;
- Resist being washed off by water;
- Form non-sticky films so that dust and dirt will not build up on ropes;
- Be suitable for application by brush, drip feed, spraying, pouring on a running section of the rope, and running the rope through a trough or bath of lubricant.